Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D is for Daughter

My daughter is the best. I have 4 kids, 3 sons and my daughter is the youngest. She is my miracle.


When I was pregnant with her I found out that I was carrying twins. It was a rough pregnancy and I lost one. The remainder of the pregnancy was difficult as my body was trying to abort her as well. As prayers and luck would have it, Brianna arrived on her due date at a healthy 8 pounds 3 ounces. I was so sure I was going to have another boy. When the doctor said "It's a girl" I cried...and I kept checking her diaper to be sure.

Just before her first birthday, she developed Septicemia. I was horrified. This was the first time I ever had to hospitalize one of my kids. It was a very scary ordeal and I stayed with her in the hospital for 5 days. Thank God she recovered with no lasting effects.


Through out her life, we have been close. Even as the dreaded teen years crept up, we were able to maintain a wonderful relationship. Then 3 days after her 14th birthday, another D word invaded our life. Diabetes. I was no stranger to the disease. My younger sister was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 13. But this was my baby. Again, I had to put her in the hospital. Only 2 days this time. But this time, the effects would last the rest of her life. I am so proud of the way she has deals with her diabetes.


We made it through middle school and high school just as strong. She reminded me the other day that I was an awesome mom because I arranged for her to meet her favorite group at the time, The Jonas Brothers and then drove 2 hours for her to see their concert. We took a trip to the east coast. I have stood in line with her for concert tickets. I have driven out of state for her to go to concerts or meet new bands or just to take day trips. I took her to see the school where 10 Things I Hate About You was filmed. We went to see Kurt Cobain's house. Her passion is music and she has a gift for writing. She writes for a music blog, reviewing music and concerts. That is what a mom does. I encourage her to find her passion and take it where it leads.


Brianna has graduated from high school and is approaching her 20th birthday. She makes me so proud to be her mother. I can praise her strong moral character and her solid sense of conviction. We are friends and we enjoy doing things together. She is the daughter that would make any mom proud. And she is mine.


Brianna, you are my baby waby! I love you. Your mamma jamma!

3 comments:

  1. Children truly are Gods blessing to women. The bond a mother and child have is unbreakable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica, so nice to visit you again!! I, too, have only one daughter and she is such a precious and amazing gift!! I hope you have fun with the challenge.
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping and leaving me a hello!