Tuesday, March 29, 2011

21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart


As I have mentioned before, the big 5-0 is approaching. And as many can agree, we gain those few (or many) extra pounds that don't go away. I am here to tell ya, I am no exception. At the start of the year, because my depression over my sister's death, instead of 30 pounds, I needed to lose 40 pounds. I could stand to lose more, but let's keep it real. With a 40 pound loss, I would be considerably healthier.
Yes, I am big boned and yes, I can carry my weight well. But who are we kidding, I need to lose weight. I am not big on diets. And less on exercise. But I know 2 truths are constant in losing the extra pounds. EAT LESS and MOVE MORE! That is the only sure way to lose those love handles. Or is it??

I received the book 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neil D. Barnard, M.D. And like every person who has to lie flat on the bed to zip their pants, I saw the brass ring...21 -DAY! My first thought was what is this gimmick? A cleanse, a starvation,or the magical .com site that sends you their magical dietary cardboard. But this book wasn't any of those.

We have all heard the magic word - metabolism. Surprise, it's not low...you are probably starving it. This book goes into the types of foods we should be eating to become healthier. It does not focus on calories or exercise. But doesn't that go against what I thought were the weight loss rules. This book basically revolves around a vegan diet.

Stop the BBQ! I am a meat and potato girl from Montana. We eat meat! But in order to give this book a fair review, I thought I'll give it a try. In 1 week I lost 10 pounds. Did I follow the diet and recipes exactly? No. Did I exercise? No. I can hardly believe it! I did try to cut out all animal products, but remember the MT girl? I couldn't go cold turkey. (No pun intended)I ate very little meat and I am pleased with the results. I have used the advise of the book and have used fiber to feel full. And substituted the animal products with healthier protein choices.

I have tried so many new foods in the past week. Soy yogurt has so much more flavor but it is a sharp contrast to regular yogurt. So stick with it. Almond milk is really very good. Now almond cheese on the other hand keeps me longing for our wonderful Tillamook cheese. But in small quantities,grated on whatever legumes I tried that day, it works quite well. In all honesty, I said that I didn't exercise, but I did have more energy and did walk more.


Overall, it is still a matter of willpower to shed those extra pounds. But this book gives you the proverbial 'food for thought', without the prerequisite of a degree in nutritional science. My goal is to embrace 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart as of April 1st. I will keep you posted. Looking forward to a leaner me!
Category:HEALTH & FITNESS
Format:HARDCOVER BOOK
Publish Date:2/28/2011
Price:$25.99/$28.99
ISBN:9780446583817
Pages:368
Size:6" x 9"
I received this book from The Hachette Book Group for my honest review.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your A to Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the weight loss so far. Its hard to stick to a diet your not use to. I want to ask a question? Do you like to dance? If so, you should look for a Zumba class near you. Its such a fun way to move. I teach Zumba at Curves for Women, and in 2 months time I had ladies coming up to me telling me that they can zip their jeans with know problems. And some of these ladies just do Zumba twice a week. If you combine Zumba with the 21-day diet, think of the possibles. Go to www.Zumba.com and look of classes in your near by your zip code. If you love to dance then this is for you. Keep it up, your doing GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. You did fabolous. Thank you for writing about it. Well done......

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping and leaving me a hello!